Dragos Popa is an Ottawa-based university instructor, international business consultant and entrepreneur. Born in Romania, he pursued his post-secondary education in Sweden, Switzerland and Canada, and received a M.A. in European, Russian and Eurasian Studies, and a Ph.D. in International Relations, both from Carleton University in Ottawa, ON.
For almost a decade (2006-2014), Dr. Popa taught graduate and post-graduate courses at Carleton University (Ottawa), the Canadian Forces College (Toronto), and the University of Ottawa. Subjects taught ranged from systemic transitions to regional integration to international economic and political relations.
In 2012 Dr. Popa launched Parallel 49 Education, a service providing information to international students interested in post-secondary education in Canada. An archived version of the site can be found at https://parallel49education.wordpress.com/
Business consulting projects focused primarily on market research, area studies, and social / cultural analyses, with an emphasis on Central and Eastern European countries.
- PhD in International Relations from Carleton University’s prestigious Political Science Department, in Canada’s capital.
- Recent certifications include: Strategic Communications Certificate (Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana), Digital Analytics for Marketing Professionals (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), and PuMP® Performance Measure Blueprint (George Washington University, Washington, D.C.).
- Produced numerous peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, commissioned reports, theses, reviews, and other business studies.
- Advised corporations (e.g., Canadian mining companies), not-for-profit organizations, Canadian government departments (e.g., Global Affairs Canada), and private individuals.
- Travelled extensively throughout Europe and North America; speaks English, French and Romanian.
Disclaimer: This is a personal website. The information, views and opinions expressed here are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the positions of any of my former and current employers and business partners. D.P.